Depending on the type of business you conduct and the type of transactions involved, various federal, state and local compliance statutes require the filing and/or application for licenses and other regulatory type documents.  For example, if you conduct business through a corporation or limited liability company, California requires the annual filing of a Statement of Information with the California Secretary of State and payment of a minimum filing fee.  The State of Hawai'i requires the filing of an annual report with the Business Registration Division of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (BREG) and depending on the type of transactions of the business, the BREG requires the filing of forms and payment of taxes to comply with Hawai'i's General Excise Tax (GET).  For the most part, a seller's permit is required for retailers or wholesalers of tangible taxable items.